5.02.2012

Guardian Lions at Jade Buddha Temple: Travel Photo of the Day

Shanghai, China


China is on my mind. Finally uploaded my pictures from Hong Kong the other night and I can't get it out of my head! Had to make this the first random travel picture I posted because it is one of my favorites from the trip. I do have to give Bianca the credit though since I think she stole my camera to take this one. 

Throughout my 15 day trip to China, I was constantly on the lookout for the Imperial guardian lions (shishi 石狮子) that stand watch outside of many establishments (both ancient and new!) in the country.

With the male lion's paw on the world and the female lion's paw on her playful cub, the pair seem to find a strong, powerful balance between embracing the world and making it your own while loving and protecting those close to you. Sounds about right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment