6.28.2012

Marathon Training

Well so far, so good. I haven't keeled over and died or completely thrown in the towel yet, so I'd say I'm doing alright.

Not gonna lie though, training for a marathon during the peak of summer in 90+ degree  Chicago heat is not exactly a walk in the park.

So far training has gone a little something like this... 

During the week I'm raring and ready to go:


but by the weekend, I'm just like:


I am happy to say that I haven't skipped any runs due to being lazy or hungover, but my inability to say no to anything fun will definitely be a hurdle throughout this process. I've already blown off my weekend long runs the past 2 weeks thanks to Spring Awakening and the Pride Parade.

Rather than letting my guilt get the best of me, I've decided that my long runs will be done on Fridays when I don't have work and then I can engage in all the pleasures of the weekend without the big, long run looming over me.

And actually, according to the 2012 Nike Marathon Training Program, I'm ahead of the game despite taking a running hiatus the past 2 Saturdays & Sundays. At first I was following the 2011 program because the 2012 program hadn't been released, but after not following that the way I should have, I was relieved to see the program for this year starts 15 weeks before the marathon and allows Rest Saturdays & Sundays for the first 4 weeks!


I like the looks of that!

The other thing I'm trying to keep in mind is that I don't have to follow an exact, precise schedule. I don't want to stray too far away from these plans, but I do need to keep in mind that I have a life outside of training for marathons and the only way to stay motivated is to make sure it fits my lifestyle and happiness. 

For stretching and strength training, I use my workout days to do yoga. It's a lot better than forcing myself to go lift free weights or taking a cardio class at the gym and reaps all of the same benefits! And it's just nice to be back at The Chicago School of Yoga again since I took a break from going through the Winter months. 

Check out the story I did for The Red Line Project about this studio that I absolutely fell in love with in the Fall: 
Fullerton: Lincoln Park Yoga Studio Taking New Approach

Running and doing yoga together have proved to be a great combination so far, especially since a lot of the people around the studio are runners. It's been a lot of fun learning tips & tricks and making buddies to run those double digit runs with. 

Hm, I'm actually starting to sound like a runner...

 Images via 1, 2, 3


No comments:

Post a Comment